Facebook page ownership can now be changed

One of the biggest complaints owners of Facebook Pages have had is that once a page is created, it was owned by that person forever. It caused quite a dilemma for a company that wanted to set up a fan page because it meant it might be owned by a person who would eventually leave the company. That’s changed.

Now, any administrator of a page can remove any other administrator. It means ownership can be transferred from one person to another – something many companies have wanted for quite some time. That in itself is a double edged sword, but there’s another bit of power that comes along with this change that even more troubling. Any admin can now delete a page.

What this means, is that before making someone an admin of your page, you need to make darn sure that person is trustworthy. You certainly don’t want to misjudge someone and end up with them hijacking your page!

I think Facebook is on the right track, but rather than giving all admins the same rights, I’d like to see a two-tier setup, with owners and admins. The owners would be the only ones with the rights to delete a page, but they could promote someone else as an owner as well. Then, if the original owner chooses to, she would be able to relinquish ownership to another owner. Yahoo Groups has this feature, and it makes more sense than the way Facebook has things set up at the moment. Hopefully this is just an interim change though, and they’ll be fine tuning it soon.

The bottom line is that if you work for a company and set up a Fan Page for them, you can later hand over that page to someone else if necessary. This is a huge upgrade!

, ,

100 Responses to Facebook page ownership can now be changed

1. Amoc Kibe January 8, 2013 at 4:29 am #

Sory i was a manager of my page later a add a 1 manager thereafter he make me as a content creator so wat can i do? I want to return in my position As a manager coz i’m da page creator and owner

Help me plz

• Kim August 14, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

That is the same thing that happened to me. Shouldn’t the created have some sort of “ownership” to the page even if we add other admins or “managers” onto the page. We can feel that we won’t be delete off the page or get changed to a content creator. Facebook needs to change this.

• Therese August 14, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

It seems to make sense that it would be that way, but it’s not. I don’t know why Facebook doesn’t have some sort of feature that gives one person ownership no matter what. I’ve heard of way too many people who trusted someone enough to make them manager, and then had the page hijacked.

2. Jaymie Shook January 25, 2013 at 7:53 am #

Any ideas on removing myself from being the content creator of a page? I have emailed and messaged the admin, but he hasn’t responded. I’m sick of seeing notifications for a page I no longer work on!

3. Alan Collinson April 2, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Drago Drums Facebook page. This page was set up by a partner in the company who has since left. We now find that he set up the site as an extension to his own personal Facebook page. How do we claim ownership of our site if he wont co-operate.

• Therese April 2, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

You’ll need to file a complaint with Facebook. You can do that on this page: http://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=360358877344441 Be sure to use your dragondrumc.co.uk email address. That way FB can see that the page is associated with your website. Good luck!

4. Alan Collinson April 2, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Correction to previous post. Dragon Drums.

5. Kat April 23, 2013 at 9:29 am #

so my Q is if you have a business that wants to sell up, how do they transfer the whole fan page to the new owner without deleting the page if it is attached to the original owners personal page and email??

• Therese April 23, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Make the new owner an admin with manager rights. At that point, the other person will be able to login to their personal profile and admin the page. If the new admin removes you as admin, or demotes you, the page will still be accessible by the new admin.