If a former Facebook page admin deletes her profile, what happens to page?

On one of my earlier blog post, Facebook page ownership can now be changed,  someone brought up a good point about Facebook Pages and admins. I started to answer in the thread, but it’s a pretty important question, so I decided just to do a new post about.

Here’s the comment this person had:

The real issue is that the page is still tied to the person’s Facebook account regardless of whether they administer the page or not. Thus, if they delete their Facebook page [profile] for any reason, the page will forever be gone.

I know the short-term answer, but I want to know the long-term answer. So, here’s what I did – step by step:

• Set up a new profile – aka Jane.
  • Jane logged into her personal profile and set up a Facebook fan page.
  • Jane appointed me as an admin of the page.
  • I logged out of Jane’s profile and logged into my own to be sure I was set as an admin of the new page. I am.
  • I removed Jane as an admin.
  • I logged out of my profile, and logged back in as Jane.
  • I deleted Jane’s account.
  • I logged in again as myself, and the page is still there. I am now the only admin for the page Jane created.

Once a person gives up their admin rights (or has them revoked by another admin), it appears that they have no rights to that page.

However . . .

I need to follow up with this in 15 days and here’s why:

Facebook allows profiles to be deactivated or deleted – and they are two different functions.

Deactivation – This allows you to make your account inactive, which means your stuff is locked away and made secret but you can get it later if you want to. Facebook keeps all of your information in case you decide to reactivate it at a later date.

Deletion – This permanently deletes your account after 14 days. During that initial 14 day period you’re allowed to reactivate your account if you want to (just by logging in), but after that it will be permanently deleted.

So at this point, Jane’s account has been set for deletion and the page she created is now in my possession. What I want to know for sure is if that page will still be mine once her account has been permanently deleted. Or will it be deleted along with her account since she was the original owner? I’m fairly certain it will still be my page since she was removed as an admin, but I’ll check back in another 15 days to find out for sure.

UPDATE: It’s been more than 15 days since I deleted the Jane account and I’m still the admin for the page she turned over to me. So, it looks like if an admin turns over a page, then is deleted, that page will still exist and it will belong to whoever is the current admin

Free Updates!
If you enjoyed this article, get email updates (it's free).

, ,

102 Responses to If a former Facebook page admin deletes her profile, what happens to page?

1. Mary Jane November 11, 2010 at 10:45 pm #

Here’s a slightly different scenario. My main personal profile was the sole admin of my fan page. Without doing quite ENOUGH research in advance apparently, I deactivated my profile, just to take a break from facebook. Now the fan page is GONE. I logged back in and reactivated the profile, but the fan page is still GONE. it took me a really long time to build that page. not only so, but i paid facebook a LOT of money in advertising dollars to build up the page. I have submitted a query to facebook but are they really going to help me? Does anyone have any hope to give me?

• Therese November 12, 2010 at 4:40 pm #

Ugh. Not good. I haven’t heard that specific scenario, so I don’t have the answer. I’m surprised they deleted the page completely. I would have thought they would keep it, at least in a dormant state, as long as they kept your profile dormant. If you do get an answer from Facebook, please let us know. I’m curious what the outcome might be.

• Freelee December 29, 2011 at 4:49 am #

Thanks so much for this post, its great and answered some questions for me but Im still having troubles. I have a fanpage that I can log into fine but I converted it from a profile and my original profile has now been deactivated. It is now really glitchy, it has no search bar and I cannot add another profile as admin. Do you have any experience with this?

2. Lisa November 14, 2010 at 4:04 am #

@Mary Jane I was just researching this issue and FB says in their Help Center that if you delete/deactivate your profile the page will delete. Pretty sure there is no way to get it back. Sorry :(
    @Therese Thanks for the blog. I was just about to run the same test!
    Also just found out that in June FB allowed original Admins to be removed, but in the last month they changed it back to not being able to remove them.

• Therese November 14, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

Thanks for the info about not being able to remove original admins. That’s interesting, and I didn’t know they did that. That makes me wonder, given your first comment, if someone creates a page, sets someone else as an admin, then deletes their own profile (the page creator), what happens to the page. Have you tested that scenario?

3. Helen December 2, 2010 at 10:52 pm #

@Lisa, I was able to remove the original Admin of a fan page today without any problems. Hesitant to remove the original profile, though. Has anyone tested this lately?

4. Trish P June 15, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

Just found your little web site and all these threads regarding FB and if it’s possible to change the ‘owner’ of a page. I don’t believe there is a way to do this. If there is, I hope you (or someone) finds it because I need to accomplish this.

• Therese June 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

You just need to set someone else as admin.

5. Isola Wilson July 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Hi Therese, I am also in the same situation of switching page ownership. I am the owner/admin of my company’s page and while I was in the process of waiting for my fan base to get to 25 to claim a username……a worker went ahead and create a page on his personal a/c using the company’s name as that page username. Now I am ready to claim my company’s username and was told “it’s not available at this time, try again.” So I google the company’s name and it comes up as the worker’s name with the company’s name for that page of his. I realise if he deletes his page from his personal a/c I will lose the name all together. I was about to have him add me as an admin on that page but I think it still will have him as the owner because its his personal a/c? I am so fustrated, I spent alot of time to create my page which can only be viewed if I invite people to it since itcannot be found when googled on the web. Help me how do I make the switch?

6. Therese July 4, 2011 at 11:44 am #

If I understand you correctly . . . you both have PAGES (not profiles) with your company name. So, if he makes you an admin and then you remove him as admin, you will be the owner of the page that he set up. After you do that, you’ll probably want to delete your other page though as you don’t want two pages for the same company.

7. Linda August 31, 2011 at 3:38 am #

Hi Therese!

I just came across your blog, and this specific question – which is very much relevant to me! I have a client who originally created their “business” profile by setting up a standard Facebook profile, and adding friends.

Now, they have created a Page, but created it through the original profile. I am set as admin of the Page, as is the original profile. If I understand you correctly, I need to remove the original profile as admin, and then log in again as the original profile, and then delete the profile…and then the Page will still be active under my administration?

I hope you’re able to help!

Linda

• Therese September 2, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Hi Linda, what I would do is to set up a personal profile in your name (a personal profile for yourself). Then login to the current profile that has admin rights to the page, and make your new personal profile an admin. Then, if you want to go back in and remove admin rights for the original profile you can do that. After that it doesn’t matter what you do with that original profile. Just make sure you have an admin on the page.

8. Michelle Cruz October 24, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

So I have a new scenario. I run an outreach for a ministry. I set up our organizational Facebook originally as a profile, then as we grew created a Page (VSCconRandyMorrison) with the profile as the sole admin. The profile was deactivated by Facebook, I assume because I used the organizational name instead of a real “personal” name for the profile. (my mistake) The profile which has been deactivated was the only Admin for the Page. The page is still there… but with no Admins. So now, I cannot access either the page or the profile. What happens now? I cannot find anyway to contact Facebook about this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

9. Tom Jordan November 17, 2011 at 6:46 am #

Here’s a weird issue. We manage multiple pages for a client. Client has 12 pages with 1 unique admin for each page and 1 master admin who can access all pages. Client did ‘something’. Now when master admin logs in they do not see the notification icons or search box at top of FB page, have limited access to edit pages, and can’t post to all pages at once. They are listed as Admin in right side but clicking on it does not take you to their profile.
    Did they delete their original profile? But if so why can they still log in?

• Freelee December 29, 2011 at 4:52 am #

I’m getting this exact same thing

10. helena guerrero December 23, 2011 at 5:51 pm #

I just put up a Facebook page under my Business name Biomagnetism USA, but whenever I post a comment on someone elses page, neither my name or profile picture comes up it looks like an anonymus comment..like is the administrator???why is this happening, how can I change it? i’ve look all over for an aswer, there is none in Facebook…

• Therese December 27, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

I’m a little confused about what’s happening with your posts. If you are using FB as Bomagnetism USA and you post on a page Bomagnetism USA has liked, the post should show up as Bomagnetism USA. If you want to post on another page as YOU (your personal profile) then your name/pic should come up. Are you saying nothing is showing up to indicate who is posting the comment?

11. AJ February 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm #

My web designer removed me as an administrator on my Facebook account and will not give me back access. is there a way to file a complaint, get my admin status back and rectify the situation?

12. Tracey March 13, 2012 at 4:50 am #

Hi Theresa

Firstly, your blog is fantastic and so informative, thanks! :)

Secondly, I am trying to move the page ownership to a different user (myself). I have just followed your suggestion of removing the admin right of the original page owner. However when I logged in using the account I want to now be the owner, it doesn’t let me add new admins. The only way around it is to add the orginial page owner back as an admin, login as them and then it allows me to add new admins :( So it seems you still can’t get rid of the page owner, even if you take away their admin priveleges.

Any further ideas?

Thanks again,
    Tracey

• Tracey March 13, 2012 at 5:02 am #

I take this back, I am now in a really messed up situation. I cannot add admins under my account, and because I removed the original owner of the page from admins they can no longer manage the page, which includes adding admins. So I can now not add anyone else as an admin to the page, which is a huge problem as I am not the one that normally manages it, I wanted someone else to manage it but I removed them from admins as well in the hopes that if only one admin was left (myself), ownership would be transferred to them. This was not the case :(

Please can you help me? Thank you.

Regards,
      Tracey

• Tracey March 13, 2012 at 5:09 am #

Wow, so sorry to be posting so much! I just went back into my account and tried one last time to add admins by adding in their email address (something I did before a few times but didn’t work), and now.. it worked!!!! :) So I have managed to add 2 more admins, so 3 of us can now manage the page, and the original page owner is no longer there. Now to pluck up the courage to delete the original page owner’s account :/ Do you think it’s safe to do this, without the chance of my page deleting when their account officially deletes after 14 days?

That’s my last post for tonight, sorry for the many posts – was posting as I was figuring it all out :)

Regards,
        Tracey

• Therese March 13, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Great, I’m glad you figured things out. You shouldn’t have any problem if you delete the original page owner’s account. When I first wrote this blog post I did just that and didn’t have any problems. However, just to be safe, what you could do is just leave it active but lock it down with the privacy settings.

13. Jenny March 27, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

Hi!
    I was all new to FB today and with a sole interest for my company to become more visual… so, someone told me I could create a page, instead of a personal profile… So I did. However, without a personal profile I discovered couldnt do much… I was kind of stuck on my page, no new people/companies to find… So, I created a personal profile and to do that I had to create a new e-mail also cause my other one was registered on my page! So, here I am, I have one personal profile and one company page and still I cant use them together! Now, there is a function on the page which says I can delete the page permanently… I wonder, If I do so, can I create a new one with the same name again or is the name forever used even if my page is deleted? Can I in some other way put the page under the wings of my profile?

Thanks for you kind reply,

Jenny

• Therese March 27, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

Hi Jenny,

You can indeed put the page under the wings of your profile, by making your personal profile an admin for the page. Here’s how:

1. When signed into your personal profile, go to your business page and click the Like button.
      2. Sign out of your personal account.
      3. Sign into your business account.
      4. Click on Manage/Edit page/Manage Admins.
      5. Add yourself (your personal profile) as an admin for the page.
      6. Sign out of your business account.
      7. Sign into your personal account.
      8. Click on Home (upper right).
      9. On the left, you should see the word PAGES with a link to your page under it. Click on that and you can manage your page whenever you’re signed into your personal profile.

Sometimes there’s a bit of lag time between the time someone likes a page and that page owner can add them as an admin. So, in the list above, you may not be able to go right from #2 to #3. You may have to wait a few minutes.

14. Janis April 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

An organization I work for had created a bunch of chapter personal accounts. When they realized they should have been pages, I helped and converted them into pages. The original personal profile of course initially was the Admin, but logged in as that Admin I added a few new Admins, 1 being under my own personal account. I then removed the original Admin leaving myself and a few others….so far so good. Then due to that original personal account was still lingering as it’s own personal profile, I deleted it. It of course is in that holding pattern for permanent deletion giving the option for so many days to reactivate. We of course have no need for it.

I wasn’t worried until….another personal account for another chapter I converted to a page. Followed the exact same scenario, but when I chose to delete the original lingering profile the new page disappeared. I reactivated that personal account and it returned. Now I have left that personal account on as an Admin for fear it’ll disappear again. Keep in mind there are 4-5 other Admins assigned now to the page.

Ok, so my REAL concern is that the first transition that worked as it’s supposed to is at the end of the grace period for reactivating the personal account. I’m so afraid that when it expires the new page (see 1st paragraph) will disappear.

Conclusion – Facebook is VERY inconsistent and doesn’t even follow it’s own “Help” guidelines.

Your thoughts?

• Therese April 24, 2012 at 8:29 am #

Well, like you said, Facebook is VERY inconsistent (and VERY frustrating at times)! I haven’t ever heard of this happening before. I’ve tested the theory with a few pages and never had the page deleted when the original admin was deleted. However, since it did happen to you, what I’d do is keep all those personal accounts open. If you’re not going to use them, lock them down with the security features. And of course, make sure each page has a real admin so FB can see that someone is actively using the pages.

• Janis April 25, 2012 at 2:01 am #

Well, it’s past the time of the 1st one…whew, it stayed put! I’ll just keep the other and lock it down like you said! It’ll drive me nuts though, seeing something there that really isn’t being used. One of my pet peeves LOL Thanks!

• Janis April 25, 2012 at 2:07 am #

Have to add – Just logged into the …what use to be a personal account and it comes up as the new PAGE! Yes you read that right. Now get this – it’s not an ADMIN! Bizarre. Now after I view the Admins (5) on the “Page”, I click on the upper right Settings tab and it goes to a personal settings page like is now a Personal account. LOL Yeah, you read that right. I have a feeling that when Facebook transitioned it from Personal to Page it got caught in-between and is a mutant. LOL

15. erica May 10, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Ok–perhaps someone can help me….

I created a “page” without attaching it to a profile and instead only to an email. ( i would like to keep my two worlds separate and therefore did not attach it to my personal profile)

I created a 2nd profile now and would like to use that to manage my page and a few other pages i plan on creating.

But–I can not seem to find a way to add an admin or owner to the page i created without a profile.

Does anyone know how to add the new profile i created to the page i already have–as the owner or admin?

Thanks!
    Erica

• Therese May 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Click Manage/Edit Page
      Click Manage Admins (it’s on the left)

When you’re on the manage admins page you’ll see where you can type a name or email of someone you want to set as an admin. If you type a name, it will only work if that person has already liked your page. If you use the email, be sure to use the email associated with the profile you want to use as admin for the page

16. Alison May 11, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Here’s my deal:
    I created a facebook page without really recognizing that it would be tied to my personal profile. I have other admins so I know if I kill my personal profile, the page still lives on. My question is: I would like to edit it so that the page has it’s own login — completely seperate it from my login. The primary reason for this is the social networking consolidating apps…they always default to my personal-primary page, but I really want to connect to the ‘fan’ page and the ‘fan’ twitter page….Twitter lets me do this six ways from Sunday — but FB is being uncooperative. (My page is a high school sports page— I update scores and such through Twitter and FB and the consolidating apps make it soooo much easier. I know I can have FB post to Twitter – but there isn’t a character limit in FB so my posts often get cut short on the transfer.). Suggestions? Solutions?
    Any suggestions?

• Therese May 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

I don’t believe there’s a way to change the login for a page to a page online login. In other words, if a page is set up when logged into a profile, that page will always need at least one profile connected to it for admin purposes. I’m not sure what apps you’re trying to use, but you might want to double check that they’re designed to be used on pages and not just profiles.

17. Alice May 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Hi there;

We have a situation where an employee was termintaed and she created the facebook page for our company. I have been able to create one with the company name but they both show up in searches. How do I get the former employee’s page deleted as the owner des not want it. I emailed Facebook thru feedback section and have not heard back.

18. Lynn May 14, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

I created a FB business page for a friend. I used my email address, but would like to hand it all over to her now. How can I properly switch ownership to the “real” owner?

• Therese May 15, 2012 at 10:23 am #

Make her an admin for the page, then she can delete you as admin. You could make her an admin, then remove yourself as admin. However, I suggest letting her remove you. This way you’ll be sure she’s able to get into the admin panel.

19. Ahmad Bekdash July 28, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Thanks a lot for the info., however I still have a question did the posts and comments added by the first owner (deleted) still exists?

The posts added by him under the name of the page?

Thanks a lot ))

• Therese July 29, 2012 at 9:19 am #

Yes, those comments/posts will remain.

20. Ryan August 17, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

Hi, what a great site! I am totally lost when it comes to using Facebook. I originally set up my site under my name. I’m an artist and designer and my names is my brand. I set it up thinking it was a business profile but realized that it was my personal profile. I then found out that I could create a page so I did. The thing is that I only ever wanted to use Facebook for to grow my business. I never wanted a personal site as I don’t have time to use it or the social aspect.

What I want to know is if I create a new business site, say for example ‘cool stuff’ and then I delete my personal site ‘Ryan’, can I then set up ‘Ryan’ as a page of ‘cool stuff’?

I look forward to getting some advice. Thanks once again for an awesome site!

Cheers Ryan

• Therese August 23, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

The best way to set up a business account is to first set up a personal profile, then set the business account up when you’re logged into your personal profile. If you don’t want anybody to find your personal profile, just set the privacy settings to the most restrictive, and you shouldn’t have any problem.

21. Bernadette Flaim August 30, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

Therese,

this post and your previous one have been very helpful – thanks so much. I do have a question, though — my situation is that I created a business page some years ago, which currently is attached to my personal profile. I am leaving the company and the partnership dissolution agreement states that I must provide “administrative rights” to the page. My question is, if I make my former partner an admin and then delete myself as an admin, does the company page then “attach” itself to her personal page? After the transition, she will not have any access to my personal page in anyway, correct? I don’t have to provide her with any sort of special login directions, do I? Thanks very much for your help.

22. Taylor T September 5, 2012 at 2:35 am #

if I deactivate my facebook account what happened to my pages I admin? Are the page will be safe and no one will be admin?

23. Janis September 6, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Taylor, they’re supposed to be ok, if you assigned other administrators. I moderate several and was able to delete many accounts without a problem, however I had a page disappear until I reactivated the account that started it. So, I’m a bit apprehensive to delete any more.

24. Jenn P September 25, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

I am an admin on several different FB pages. If I temporarily delete my personal fb page will I still be an admin of a pages when I reactivate my personal page? Thank you!

25. Claire October 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Wonder if you could help me please. im clueless about FB. I have a business page with 170 or so “likes”. I decided to change the name but didnt realise you could actually change it on facebook so I created a whole new business page with my new name figuring Id just have to start over. Now that I realise you can change the name it wont let me because the username is obvoiusly taken (by me!). If I delete the new page will that allow me to change the name of my existing page to the name of the one I just deleted? Also, does the URL change to the same as the page name? Hope this makes sense. x

26. Therese October 10, 2012 at 6:49 am #

I wouldn’t take a chance on deleting the page with the name you want. I’ve heard that sometimes a name is available after deletion, and sometimes it’s not. If you really want to use that name, I would start telling your fans to unlike the old page and like the new one. I’d close the old one to comments so they won’t get confused. Once they’ve all moved, delete the old page.

27. abdo October 16, 2012 at 8:23 am #

hi
    i added new manager to my page ,and he told me that he added new accounts to management but he deactivated them,
    so now I returned to the page and I am the only manager , but I m affraid that he will reactivate one of those deactivated manager account and take the page>
    so how can I find deactivated manager accounts ?

• Therese October 18, 2012 at 8:26 am #

I don’t believe you can find deactivated manager accounts. Only the account holder can reactivate them, at which time they may still be managers of the page. I’m not entirely sure. I would just keep an eye on the page and remove his admin rights if they show up again.

28. Andri October 18, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Hiiii,

Im hoping i can get some help with this major dilemma.
    So i created a facebook account for a business as i didnt want to use my personal account so i then created a separate page for the business so people can like it. However i realised it should be a business page so i converted the profile account to a page and now i cannot access the original page which i created from the account. I dont know what to do as the profile account which i created it from is now just a page :S i can still search for the original page in the search bar and it still comes up too but i cant get to it????

• Therese October 18, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Hi Andri, that’s actually a problem I’ve never encountered. You will not be able to access the old page from the page that used to be a personal profile. What I would do though is to fill out a request form and ask FB to convert your old page back to a profile long enough to set an admin for the page you can’t currently access. Explain the situation, letting them know you understand the fact that profiles cannot be used for businesses. Tell them that you intend to only keep the profile in the business name long enough to be set the admin for the other page. Hopefully 1) Someone will actually read your message 2) They will understand and help you get it straightened out.

Here’s the link to the request form: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=366956053339943

• Andri October 18, 2012 at 8:32 am #

Okay thanks so much for your help! I will fill out the form and explain and hope for somebody to get back to me. Do you think if i permanently delete the page which was previously the profile account that the other page i made from that account will also delete?

29. Don November 2, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Here’s my situation. A patient of mine works at NBC here in Mobile and does their Facebook page. I hired her to set up my FB business page and have paid her weekly for the past two months. Anyway, I decided to hire a website design company who only does chiropractic websites, and to also do my FB, twitter, and Google + pages. She got upset and deactivated the account and I have no password or ability, that I know of, to retrieve my FB business page. Any help would be vastly appreciated. Someone told me to contact FB? HELP! Please.

• Therese November 2, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Unless you have admin rights to the page, you won’t be able to get it back. If she refuses to cooperate, contact Facebook and explain the situation. Keep in mind though that they have millions of people using Facebook, which means it may take a while for you to hear back (if you ever do). See this blog post for more info and links to the FB forms.

Your best bet may actually be just to start over. I know that may not be the ideal solution, but given the time and energy it will take to get the old one back (and maybe not successfully), it may make more sense.

When you get your new page set up, be sure to add other people as admins at levels other than manager. A manager can do anything with the page including delete other managers.

30. John Wojslaw November 9, 2012 at 9:44 am #

I have a personal fb account. When I click on the down arrow to the right of my name on the home page, I have 5 entries of weird names (Jiditty7149) that say use facebook as. If I click on it, I go to a page that says it is unpublished. If I try to delete it, it deletes that one but a new J……. shows up in the list. I tried resetting my password and securing my account, as well as cleaning out cookies and the cache. Nothing seems to work. I reported it to fb but have received no answer. Any ideas?

• Therese November 14, 2012 at 10:49 am #

Hi John, I’ve never heard of this happening to anyone. Do you have any apps or games installed on your profile? My guess would be that one of them may have a virus or other issue that’s causing this. Do a scan with Norton Safe Web: apps.facebook.com/nortonsafeweb/

• John Wojslaw November 14, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

I did not have any aps installed. I did add the norton safe web and scanned. One of my friends had several posts that came up as untested. I unfriended the person. Then I went back and was able to delete the weird pages without them returning. So all is well. Thank you so much.

• Therese November 15, 2012 at 5:59 am #

Thanks for letting me know that helped!

31. Kristen November 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

Ok, so not knowing much about FB, i was able to create a page for our organization without having a personal FB account. I am not realizing that I should’ve had a personal account first. I understand how to add admins and all of that, but my question is, how do I create a personal account now using the same email address that I used to set up the PAGE? I want this email address since it is linked to our organization. Is there a way to do this or do I really need to make up a new email address? PLEASE HELP! Thanks a bunch.

• Therese November 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

What you will need to do is change the email account for the page and set up the new profile with the email you want to use. Then, login to the page and set your self up (your new profile) as an admin.

32. Thomas November 22, 2012 at 12:54 am #

Hello

My better half has a company profile on facebook, where I have been admin. The problem arises when we try to assign admin. status to her, we had problems establishing her as admin., but it seemed to succeed so I unsubscribed my own status as admin. and saved. But it turns out so that there are no admins. is on the company profil at the moment and I can not see how I can again be admin. So the question is, how can it be done.?? Hope you can help?
    Best regards Thomas

• Therese November 24, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

If you set your page up with its own login, you should be able to login with those credentials and set someone as admin. However, if you originally set the page up through your personal profile, you won’t be able to set another admin. You need to have access to the page admin panel in order to set another admin.

33. John November 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Great page! This question may have been answered here, but if so I couldn’t find it. I have a Profile and a Page. I want to deactivate my Profile for a while. I know this will also make the Page go away, and I don’t want to assign another admin to it. Once I reactivate my Profile, will my Page come back, or will it be gone forever? Thanks so much!

• Therese November 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

If you delete your profile, your page won’t have an admin. What I would suggest instead is to either tighten your privacy settings on your profile, or appoint someone else (who you trust) as an admin for the page.

• John November 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

Hi again: Just to clarify…I don’t want to delete my Profile, just Deactivate. When I reactivate, will the Page I created still be there? Thanks. Sorry for the confusion.

• Kent Pavelka July 16, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

John…this is my situation also. Did you ever get an answer?

34. michael January 29, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

If i deactivate my account will i lose all my contacts i have obtained through sync on my phone, if so is there something i can do to deactivate my account and keep all my contacts i gained through it.

• Therese February 1, 2013 at 9:16 am #

I don’t believe so, but I’m not 100% certain. What you might want to do before deactivating your Facebook page is to export all of the contacts on your phone. That way you can import them again if you do lose any of them. It’s a good idea to do this periodically anyway in case of device failures.

35. Gullible February 25, 2013 at 3:49 am #

Hi,
    I have a rather unusual issue.
    Basically, i had offered to help a friend out with her marketing on the promise of stuff in future, i made a huge success of her page and business, and when i asked for what was promised, she deleted me as admin and gave me nothing.
    I posted virtually everything while i was co-admin on the page, is there any way, now that i am not admin, i can delete the things i posted?
    I’d like to avoid de-activating my account if possible and even so i’m not sure that would affect anything no i’m no longer admin, as all my posts were posted ‘as’ the company – not ‘as me’.
    I’d really like to remove the content i posted, can anyone help? Or am i unable to… I know i have i been really gullible and made a fool of for trusting a friend of 10 years – more fool me… So please don’t bash me for that :/

• Therese February 25, 2013 at 8:01 am #

You can only delete posts by the page (which is how you posted them) if you are an admin.

• Gullible February 25, 2013 at 9:37 am #

Thank you Therese. I thought that might be the case. Unfortunately now she has all of my photographs and promotions etc. My own fault for trusting she’d keep promises i guess. Lesson learned. :(

• Therese February 25, 2013 at 9:49 am #

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t get paid for your work. Hopefully your friend will work things out with you. All the best!

36. Maggie March 31, 2013 at 10:30 am #

I created a page a number of years ago for my work,which is connected to my personal page. I am now leaving this job. There is one other admin on the account. When I go in to delete myself as manager, there is no X next to my name, therefore no way to remove myself. What do I do?

• Therese March 31, 2013 at 10:49 am #

The other admin should be able to remove you, as long as that person has full admin rights.

37. Heather April 8, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

My scenario…. I am the only active admin on a page, but have limited admin privileges, I can post, and message but not make admin changes…

The owning admin deactivated his facebook profile, so I don’t know what will happen to the page.

It is a school team with almost 2000 fans, and would be a shame to lose it (I don’t know the owner, he asked me to help with the page, but my kids are done at the school so won’t be able to do it either) The coach of the team would like to be made admin, but I cannot do it…

Advice?

• Therese April 12, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

Can you ask the original admin to reactivate his profile? I don’t know if it would work or not, but reactivating his profile may reactivate his admin privileges. If so, he can then give you fill admin rights.

38. Robina April 14, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

In terms of groups I’ve created….if I deactivate or delete my personal profile what happens to this group I’ve created? I have given another person (within the group) admin status, so the group will still exist…is that correct? Thanks

• Therese April 14, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

Yes, but make sure the new admin has full admin rights.

39. Chris April 22, 2013 at 8:36 am #

Hi few questions
    I run a “group ” on facebook not a “page” its linked to my facebook account, it seems when i create admins they all have same privileges as me is this right? If so what stops another admin from deleting me from my own “group”….. That i created.?

If i deactivate my account and I’m the only admin to my “group” does my group disappear to until i reactivate it again?

If im not the only admin to my “group” and deactivate my page for time out what happens to my “group” then?

40. Janis April 22, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

“Keep in mind that admins can remove members or admins, add new admins and edit the group description and settings. You should only add a member as an admin if you already know and trust them.” https://www.facebook.com/help/418065968237061/

If you deactivate your account from what I read anyone could make themselves an Admin of a group that no longer has an Admin. So you may want to appoint one first.

Believe it or not there are a lot of questions answered in the Facebook help. For Group Admins: https://www.facebook.com/help/146441348760878

41. camila July 5, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

Hi, my problem is complicated. I was on my page and by mistake I deleted my co-owner which i had as manager. Now when I try to add her it doesnt let me. Is it because when you delete an admin they are banned from being one again. She likes the page and I heard you can only have an admin who likes the page. So can she be an admin again? Or once you delete the admin you can´t add them again?

Please help. Thank you.

• Therese July 5, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

You should be able to add her again. Give it some time and try again.

42. Kent Pavelka July 15, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

Simple scenario: I have a personal page that I want to deactivate for awhile. As I understand it, several other pages for which I am administrator (all tied to my page), will also be deactivated. I’m fine with that. However, what I want to know is will ALL of these pages come back (with all content) when I reactivate my main page?

43. Vanessa F July 16, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

I hope you can help… I’ve seen this question asked, but am still unsure of answer.
    I deactivated my personal profile and then reactivated it. My business page is still attached, but when I search for my business page from another Facebook account, I can’t find it, likes its deleted? How long does it take for business page to reactivate after personal page has been reactivated? Does the business page reactivate to public?

44. kim buckland watson September 24, 2013 at 2:49 am #

yesterday evening i was updating my profile and changed my profile picture .All night i was looking and liking and saying hello to friends on facebook made soom comments nice ones and going over my wall and adding new activitys and add new address to my profile nothing big well i recieved a noe mail saying in 14 days they will close my account i ve had it for 6-8 yrs they said i made some bad comments and i dont even know what they were talking about i never say bad things,curse or look at bad sites or nothing wrong i was wondering if they had wrong person very confused im not very computer savy i dont know what to do help kim

• Therese September 24, 2013 at 7:29 am #

Can you post the message you got from Facebook?

45. Curios George October 10, 2013 at 7:17 am #

Hi,
    I have been reading through your comments section trying to find something similar to my problem, but have had no such luck.
    Basically, I have been trying to get my Fan Page to show up in google search and facebook search and have tried EVERYTHING! I just recently read that if i deactivate my account and then immediately reactivate it facebook seems to all of a sudden ‘recognize it.’ What I am worried about, obviously, is something terrible happening like reactivating my account and finding the fan page gone!
    Two questions:
    1. Should I deactivate my account and then reactivate it?
    or
    2. Should I delete my fan page and then try to reactivate it.
    I hope you can help,
    Zach

46. Jonathan November 8, 2013 at 12:36 am #

Please help me because FB just doesn’t answer, I have a really strange case. I was trying to add another admin on my page, by clicking save button there was a message that said “there was an error loading the page, try reloading” (sort of), I did that and ending without ANY admin so now I can’t access my page with none of both accounts, what can I do? My page is in limbo right now. Thanks a lot.

* sorry if wrote something wrong, not my primary language.

• Therese November 14, 2013 at 9:38 am #

Hi Jonathan, in a case like this, the only way you can get your page back is by working with Facebook.

47. Sahkneeyou January 10, 2014 at 10:48 am #

Hello, this may have been answered, but i am a bit social media challenged. I created a personal fb page for business before I knew about the fan page. Now I am trying to create a fanpage and what to use my domain name, however fb says it is unavailable, because my personal page has it. I tried to change it on my personal fb page, but you can only make the change once. Should I delete my personal page and if so will my domain name become available again?

• Therese January 10, 2014 at 11:54 am #

I don’t believe that will work. I’ve talked to people who have had similar issues, and have not been able to get a custom URL back once they let go of it. I would probably convert your profile to a page. See Facebook for instructions: https://www.facebook.com/help/175644189234902/

48. rarhy isz r-breezy January 18, 2014 at 12:57 am #

hi! my facebook account was disabled by facebook and needs an id to be reactivated but its been 3 days now and no response from facebook, the account that was been disabled is the admin of my facebook page. the page is still working but there is no admin. pelase any help me?!

49. Abbas January 18, 2014 at 9:37 am #

My personal account was hacked and the hacker (whom i dont know) made himself the manager and i am the content creator, is there anyway i could get my page back

50. TK March 6, 2014 at 3:34 pm #

Therese, you are so patient with all of our inquiries. Thank you for your grace. My question is a version of what you’ve been talking about, but I wondered if you have specific insight into it because like everyone, I’m scared to take the risk of loosing a Page I’ve built up over years.

Way back in the beginning “DD” created a FB Account and a “DD” Profile was associated with that account. “DD” created a Page. “DD” hit the (then) 5K friend limit and converted her Profile into a Page. Then merged both Pages she created into one. At this point, the “DD” Account has no Profile, but created and manages 1 Page.

Since, “ZB” created an Account with a “ZB” Profile associated with it and was designated admin of the Page “DD” created. “ZB” removed “DD” as an admin.

Currently, the Page has “ZB” as admin and “DD” is just an account with no Profile or Page associated. Can I permanently delete the “DD” account without risking the Page it created and possibly still “owns”?

• Therese March 10, 2014 at 10:04 am #

That’s a new one! ;) I think you could safely delete the DD profile. However, I am not 100% sure since I have not run into this exact situation before. What I would probably do is to leave DD alone and just not use the account. Since there’s no profile or page associated with it, you shouldn’t be getting friend requests, or other notifications.

• Katie April 9, 2014 at 1:30 am #

Hi Therese,

Our situation is a bit similar to TK’s. We started off with a personal account A. A then created and managed 3 pages A1, A2 and A3. We also used A to create and run several Facebook groups. Last month we reported an imposter to Facebook and Facebook, for some reason, decided to convert A from a personal account to a page. At that point, A had no profile, but was still the “manager” of pages A1, A2 and A3. However, it was no longer the admin of the Facebook groups.

We decided to delete A permanently so we could create a new personal account with the same email address which we used in the beginning to create A (we need a personal account so we could create Facebook groups). A was removed as admin from all the pages associated with it (A1, A2 and A3). Each of those pages now has 5 different managers. A now is just an account with no profile or page and has been scheduled for deletion in 14 days.

Will our pages be deleted along with A, since it was the account used to create those pages? We’ve built up these pages for years and losing them would have a devastating impact on our work.

Alternatively, could we just not delete A, change its email address, leave it alone and use the original email address to create a new personal account? Would that work?

Sorry for this lengthy question. Hope you could help us answer it.

Thanks,
        Katie

51. TK March 10, 2014 at 1:45 pm #

Therese, I agree. And you are the best. Thank you for your social support.

52. Amanda June 3, 2014 at 2:56 am #

Hi Theresa

I have a related question – a friend created a GROUP in memory of my husband who died.

Both he and myself are the current group admins.

That friend is now saying they are going to delete (not deactivate) their FB account.

I desperately don’t want to lose this memorial group.

1. Do you know if the first administrator deletes their FB account will the group also be deleted? (Groups don’t seem to have admin levels like pages now do).

2. Do you know if anything would happen to the group if he were to deactivate (rather than delete) his account?

Any help would be very appreciated.
    a

• Video360 October 7, 2014 at 5:02 pm #

Amanda-

This is the same scenario that I have, and maybe Therese can help clear it up for us.

One of my friends created a group, and named a few Admins. He is now suffering from a life-ending disease, and isn’t expected to live very long, and his personal FB page will be deleted permanently.
      My question is whether the group will also be deleted, since he created it, or will it stay active, since there are others running the Group as Administrators – what do you think?

• Therese October 7, 2014 at 8:44 pm #

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend.

Are you talking about a page or a group?

If it’s a group, all of the admins have equal status. When an admin’s personal profile is deleted the group *should* still be ok as long as there are other admins. I say should because, as we all know, there are always Facebook glitches. What I would suggest is to remove him as an admin when you know he will no longer be spending time on Facebook.

If it’s a page, you will want to be sure the admins on the page have the status of “Admin” rather than any of the other options. People designated as Admins have the highest level of admin rights, including being able to remove other admins. So again, if you are indeed an admin, when you know your friend will no longer be on Facebook anymore, I would remove him as admin. Even if you don’t though, the page should be OK even after his profile is deleted.

Does that help?