How to use Facebook group announcements

How to use Facebook Group Announcements

How to use Facebook group announcements

How to use Facebook group announcements

As a Facebook Group owner, I’ve often wished there was a way to pin more than one post at the top of the group page. Finally, Facebook has made that possible with their new announcements feature. See this short video to see exactly how it works. (for more info, see this from Facebook: A New Investment in Community Leaders.

As a Facebook group owner, there may be certain posts you want to highlight for your community. The new announcements feature lets you easily add posts to the top of the page in a way that’s not too terribly obtrusive. Up to ten posts can be added to the announcements section, which show up at the top of the group page. However, only one announcement shows up, with a little “See More” link to view the rest of them.

‘Pin to Top’ is still available, and can be used to pin one post as the top announcement.

Group owners can also set specific posts to expire at a set time. This will remove the post from the announcements section, but won’t delete it from the page.

I can see quite a few uses for the new announcement feature.

• Group rules
  • Special offers
  • Group member recognition
  • Upcoming events
  • FAQs

Although this isn’t a super huge update from Facebook, it’s one I’ve wanted for a long time. So I was pretty happy to see this when I stumbled on it. How about you? If you’re a Facebook group owner, do you think you’ll use this new feature?

Want to know more about Facebook and Facebook Live? Follow me on my Facebook business page.

Get my newsletter for social media & live video tips to help you build your business.
I hate spam! Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone.

24 Responses to How to use Facebook Group Announcements

1. Lori February 26, 2018 at 7:51 pm #

I do not see this option for “announcements” in my Facebook group. It’s not on my desktop or my phone. Do you know if there is a setting I need to change or something? I desperately want to use this option!

• Therese February 26, 2018 at 9:48 pm #

You could try logging out and back in on your desktop, or see if you need to do an update on your phone app. If it’s still not there, it’s probably just that you don’t have it yet since Facebook always rolls changes out a little at a time.

2. Niki March 6, 2018 at 12:47 pm #

I wonder if it’s something that will roll out like the 3 questions did. I don’t have it available in my closed group but it is available in groups I’m a member and admin for. Hopefully I get it soon because I’m really looking forward to this!

3. Ruth McCusker March 7, 2018 at 4:23 am #

Thank you SO much for this clear explanation. I just started my first Group (Rootitoot Instant Pot Recipes and Help) and I’m a babe in the woods here. This was well written and easily understood. (As a writer of recipes, I truly appreciate clarity in instructions.) You might like to know the video does not work for me. I’m in Canada so maybe that has something to do with it? Thanks again.

4. Lacey March 7, 2018 at 11:15 am #

I have this option in one of my new groups, but not in the other new group or in either of my older groups.
    How do I add this to an old group, or find it in the new one.
    Does the group type matter?

• Therese March 7, 2018 at 11:42 am #

Hi Lacey, they appear to be rolling the new group changes out over time, like they normally do with new options. I’d give it some time. I don’t know how they determine which groups get it first, but I have a small group, so I don’t think size is a determining factor.

5. Megan March 8, 2018 at 6:56 pm #

I like the idea of this feature, but did they get rid of pinned posts?

• Therese March 8, 2018 at 7:01 pm #

No, you can actually pin one of your announcements as the top announcement.

6. Gene Davis March 9, 2018 at 11:46 am #

I want to change announcements back to Pinned Post…

7. Andy March 10, 2018 at 3:45 am #

FB often rolls out new features, or deprecates old features on an individual basis. You say we still have ‘pinned posts’ option also but mine has been removed. Guess I’l try announement instead, see how that works out. I really like being able to pin a post for a week then change it.

• Therese March 10, 2018 at 8:29 am #

Hmm, hopefully the pinned post feature will suddenly be there for you soon! The cool thing I’ve seen is that I can pin one of my posts so it’s at the top of all the announcements. I can also set it to unpin after a set amount of time.

8. Michelle March 11, 2018 at 10:28 am #

I don’t have the announcements feature either – did anyone figure out if it’s only available to certain group settings??

• Therese March 11, 2018 at 10:39 am #

I think they’re just rolling it out slowly. I only have it in one of my groups. I don’t know how they determine which groups get it, but for me, it’s my most active group that has it, so I wonder if group activity has something to do with it.

9. Andrea March 11, 2018 at 6:23 pm #

If I mark something as an announcement, will it still be seen in my group members newsfeed or will they have to go to my group to see that post?

• Therese March 11, 2018 at 9:45 pm #

They’ll still see it in the news feed whenever you post it (chronologically with other posts). But, it’ll also show up in the announcements.

10. ian blakesley March 12, 2018 at 1:15 pm #

i still dont have this feature so frustrating, i wonder if there is another way of getting,or is it just a waiting game. it would be a massive game changer for me, i have over 10,000 members so this would help me so much.

• Therese March 12, 2018 at 1:26 pm #

I think it’s just a waiting game. You might though, check to see if your app is updated on your phone. And, maybe try logging out/in on your desktop. I don’t know if either of those will work but it’s worth a try.

11. ian blakesley March 12, 2018 at 1:30 pm #

hi theresa, thankyou for your reply, i have tried both no no luck:( waiting game it is . thankyou for the info and wil bel following you on facebook. all the best

• Therese March 12, 2018 at 4:12 pm #

You’re welcome! And thanks for the follow : )

12. crystal ingrao March 15, 2018 at 12:37 pm #

is this something that isnt available to “secret” groups?

• Therese March 15, 2018 at 2:22 pm #

As far as I know, it will be available to all groups. They just seem to be taking their time making it available.

13. Henk March 16, 2018 at 6:36 am #

It is really weird that it appears in some groups but not in others. And annoying that it replaced the pin feature. Now when I post something new and pin it, it appears double at the top, once as a recent post and once as an announcement. Previously the pinned post only appeared at top and jumped back to its chronological spot only when unpinned.